Do it yourself!
Three different types of the DIY Tagtool have been developed so far:
All-in-One: This version achieves our goal of being as easy to use as a music instrument. It combines the controls, the drawing area and the computer in one compact case. It’s ‘turn on and draw’, so you can show up at a gig and get going with virtually no setup time.
Mini: A compact box that contains the brush controls (used with a computer and a graphics tablet). Find out how to build your own DIY Tagtool Mini at Instructables or download Fanijo’s guide (PDF).
Suitcase: Contains the controls for the tagtool and a graphics tablet (used with a separate computer). Find out how to build your own DIY Tagtool Suitcase at Instructables.
The software required to use your DIY Tagtool is called Nodekit. It features a visual editor that lets you customize your Tagtool setup – the different components of the software are displayed as nodes, little boxes that have editable parameters and are connected with each other to form the Tagtool patch. To find out how to use the software, have a look a the Wiki.
Requires Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 and Microsoft .NET framework 2.0
Tagtool Arduino Program
This needs to be uploaded to the Arduino board so it works with the Nodekit TagtoolControl nodes.
- Download the Arduino environment from Arduino.cc
- Install the Arduino drivers as explained here. (Arduino UNO boards will require a manual installation; Arduino Duemilanove, Nano, or DiecimilaCOM should be installed automatically.)
- Start the Arduino environment and open the .pde file (Tagtool Arduino Program).
- Upload the program to the Arduino.
- Start the Nodekit. If the Arduino isn’t recognised, try placing the cursor in the “Port” field of the TagtoolControls Node and press enter. That’ll refresh the connection.
To switch between fullscreen and windowed mode, press Alt-f.
A Tagtool is usually operated by two people – an artist (using the actual Tagtool) and an animator (using a gamepad to move the drawings around).
Click here to see the full instructions.