Thanks for the input @mverzola and @mkochsch!
Here's a few requirements we need to consider:
- we need a variant that works as an app icon / square profile pic (no text)
- needs to work as a website header logo (rectangular shape spelling out Tagtool)
- needs to work on black background (in our medium a blank slate is black/darkness), but also inverted for printing on paper etc. This is a challenge for the eye shape because a white pupil in a black eye can look strange
- needs to be bold enough to work even when it's quite small
- We also should have a coloured version (but starting with getting the shape right makes sense)
The old logo ticks all of these boxes reasonably well, so there's no hurry to change. But I believe it's good to keep trying finding something that captures the organic and community-focused spirit of our art better, and - like @Rimiyoho said - gives an impression of a "new world of possibilities".
In the end Tagtool is about projecting the world of the inner eye out in the open so it can be shared. Our fingers are the interface. This is where the three lines come from - fingers, light rays, colourful tears are some things that resonate.
In any case, thanks for being part of this conversation! We will keep posting our progress.